The Governing Body consists of five council members, with one elected at-large and four elected by districts on a non-partisan basis. All district members are elected to four-year terms; the at-large member is elected to a two-year term. The mayor and vice-mayor are selected from within the elected Council by fellow Council members for a one-year term. The City enacted term limitations for the council in 1994, and no one shall serve consecutively for more than one partial term plus two consecutive four-year terms.
The Council establishes and sets the policy of the City. The Council hires a city manager to carry out the policies and laws of the City, to administer the approved budget, serve as the chief administrative officer of the City and to conduct the daily business of the City.
All candidates for municipal office are required to file with the Reno County Election Officer at 125 W 1st Avenue either a declaration of intent to become a candidate accompanied by a filing fee of $20, plus a State mandated $50.00 report fee, for a total fee of $70.00 or a nomination petition with the proper number of signatures.
- Filing deadline — June 3rd, 2019 at Noon
- Primary — August 6, 2019
- General Election — November 5, 2019
Up for election in 2019 (for term beginning January 2020)
- Northeast District
- Southeast District
Up for election in 2021 (for term beginning January 2020)
- Northwest District
- Southwest District
- Candidates seeking election to represent a specific district must have been residents of the district for which they seek election for at least six months prior to their election and continue to reside in the district during their term of office.
- All candidates must be citizens of the United States and qualified electors of the city, meaning that at the time of the election they must be a registered voter in the city and within the particular district.
- No governing body member shall hold any other city office or city employment during the term for which the member was elected to the governing body.
- No former governing body member shall hold any compensated appointive city office or city employment until one year after the expiration of the term for which the member was elected.
Filing Location, Validation and Fee
The deadline to file is June 3rd, 2019 at Noon. All candidates for municipal office are required to file with the Reno County Election Officer at 125 W 1st Avenue either a declaration of intent to become a candidate accompanied by a filing fee of $20, plus a State mandated $50.00 report fee, for a total fee of $70.00 or a nomination petition with the proper number of signatures. Within three days from the filing of a nomination petition or declaration of intention to become a candidate for city office, the county election officer shall determine the validity of such petition or declaration. If the petition or declaration is found to be invalid, the county election officer shall notify the individual and provide the reason for the finding. The individual may object to the finding of invalidity.
**Effective April of 2007, Council Members do not receive any compensation for their service.