The Hutchinson Hose Company No. 1 was organized by Ephraim Bane in May of 1886.
The first official meeting was held 10 June 1886 and Eli Young was elected as Foreman, Elmer Stevens was 1st Assistant, Ed Moore was 2nd Assistant, Bradley was secretary, George Stitt was Assistant Secretary, Charles Woodard was Treasurer and Sam Forsha, Owen Malkey and Eli Ingham were members.
By the 25th of June, the company was mentioned in the Hutchinson News about asking for a system of alarms to be placed throughout the city and for a place to meet and store equipment.
1 July. 1886 The Hutchinson Hose Company No. 1 made their first run.
4 July 1886 Their participated in the 4th of July parade and held an exhibition showcasing their skills. They organized a grand celebration that was held on July 5th to raise funds for uniforms, fire alarms and equipment (they called it appliances).
Hutchinson Hose Company No. 1 organized in 1886
Shown: Al Foeltzer, Sam Hutton, Emmett Hutton, William Hollawell and Ed M. Moore
16 July 1886 A new fire alarm system was mounted in the City of Hutchinson and was reported to sound like an ocean steamer. The Hutchinson Hose Company, No. 1 claimed that their response time was 2 to 6 minutes from the time the fire was discovered due to the alert sounded from the new fire alarm system.
20 July 1886 The Reno Hose Company No. 2 was organized by Joe Krennich. City Marshall George Hern was appointed Fire Warden over the two companies.
23 July 1886 The Reno Hose Company had their first run. Beating the Hutchinson Hose Company No 1 to the fire due to their proximity of the fire, hooked up to the only fire hydrant available and put out the fire in a barn located on First Avenue owned by L. A. Bunker
7 Sept 1887 Hutchinson Hose Company No. 1 posted their resignation from future services in the Hutchinson News after asking for a suitable place to meet and house their equipment from the City of Hutchinson and never receiving these requested items.
9 Sept 1887 A City of Hutchinson alderman submitted a statement in the Hutchinson News that claimed their requests were unjust and that the city had offered to assist them. The Hutchinson Hose Company submitted their rebuttal calling the alderman a liar.
6 May 1890 The official Fire Department was created by ordinance with the employment of a fire marshall, 3 assistant firemen, one of whom will be the driver, and limiting the number of volunteer firemen to 6. A. J. Baum was recommended for Fire Marshall and Samuel Shute, E Will McInturff and D E Wiley as members of the department. Wagon and horses were brought to the Central Station on 6 May 1890.
June 1892 Mayor Frank Vincent appointed Al J Stout, Chief of the Hutchinson Fire Department. Stout had joined the force 6 Dec 1891.