Transforming metal, space and community.
I work primarily with reclaimed steel; transforming industry waste into new possibilities. Using art as a tool for community activation, education & opportunity is a priority. I incorporate various materials and methods based on the community and space I am working with: including cob, textiles, ceramics, collected natural materials and found objects. I have shown professionally in various venues in addition to designing & installing commissioned pieces & public art. I have organized and facilitated community art projects in diverse settings.
SHOWS & PROJECTS
• Public Art purchase of Touching Sound, an interactive sound sculpture by the City of Lakewood, 2017.
• Installation commission for Denver Children’s Museum. 2017.
• Public Art purchase of Sound, an interactive sound sculpture by the city of Wray, CO. 2016.
• Iron Cycle, solo exhibit at Hudson Gardens, 3 permanent installations. 2016.
• Voices of the Plains: an audio and written collection of songs and stories from Colorado’s High Plains. A collaborative project with the bARTer Collective, Sparky the Dog Studios supported by Colorado Creative Industries. Facilitated programming for Denver Art Museum. 2015.
• Public Art purchase of sound sculpture Music Inside by City of Broomfield. June 2015.
• Cob Wall Sculptural Park Entry Way - Community Public Art Project; concept design, project facilitation and installation. Prairie Walk Park, Grassroots Community Center, Joes, CO. June 2014.
• Nature’s Transformers, solo exhibit for Lakewood Cultural Center’s 12th Annual Sculpture Show; Lakewood Civic Center, Lakewood, CO. June – August 2014.
• Reclamation – artists modifying debris, Lakewood Cultural Center 12th Annual Sculpture Exhibition. Juried and curated show. Lakewood, CO. June – August 2014.
• Scrounge; artists working with reclaimed materials, Republic Plaza, Denver, CO. April –June 2014.
• Reading Tree; North Boulder Arts District commissioned public art sculptural mini-library. April 2014.
• Local Showcase, emerging and established contemporary artists, Firehouse Art Center, Longmont, CO. November 6 - December 8th 2013.
• Identity, A juried sculpture show, Lakewood Cultural Center, Lakewood, CO. June – August 2013.
• Public Art installations 2013: Castle Rock, Lone Tree, Loveland, Glenwood Springs, Ft. Collins.
• Guest artist for Loco-Motion show. Poudre Studio Artist and Galleries, Ft. Collins, CO. March 2012 & 2013.
• Visions & Viewpoints, nationally juried exhibition, Lincoln Center, Ft. Collins. December 2012.
• Parker Arts Culture and Events, solo sculptural exhibit of Transportation & Invention. Parker, CO, August – October 2012.
• Celebrate Colorado Artists; Madden Museum of Art, Greenwood Village. June 2012.
• Public Art installations 2012: CO Springs, Lakewood, Lafayette, Greeley, Westminster, Aurora, Evergreen, Ft. Collins• Icebreaker 2.0 & 3.0 , Ice Cube Gallery, Denver, CO. February 2011 & 2012.
• Public Art installations 2010 - 2011: Parker, Longmont, Carbondale, Ft. Collins, CO Springs, Mercury Café - Denver, Louisville, Longmont.
• Hinterland Art Space, Heads of Hydra Collaborative show. May 2010.
AWARDS & PRESS
• Governor's Creative Leadership Award recipient. 2016.
• Best Use of Reclaimed Materials, Lakewood Cultural Center, June 2013.
• Best in Show, Loco-Motion, Poudre Studio Artist and Galleries, March 2013.
• Best in Show, Celebrate Colorado Artists, Madden Museum of Art. June 2012.
• North Denver Tribune article ‘Mr. Q’s right brain, left brain world’: http://www.northdenvertribune.com/2012/03/mr-qs-right-brain-left-brain-world/
• Westword Article ‘Icebreaker 3 presents a mix of little known and established artists’