Fireworks City Code
5610.1 Prohibition The storage, use and handling of fireworks are prohibited.
1. Storage and handling of fireworks are allowed as required for explosives in Article 77.
2. The use of fireworks for display is allowed as set forth in Section 7802.4.
3. The possession, storage, sale, handling and use of specific types of Division 1.4G fireworks which have been approved for use and sale within the city limits are allowed during legalized time period prescribed by the City of Hutchinson. Such fireworks shall comply with the following guidelines:
a. The fireworks comply with CPSC 16 CFR, Parts 1500- 1507, and DOTn 49 CFR, Parts 100-185, for consumer fireworks;
b. The fireworks shall be classified as Class C and/or 1.4G; and
c. Shall emit a shower of sparks no more than six (6) feet (1,828.8 mm) in any direction; and
d. Shall not be labeled as emitting flaming balls;
e. Shall be stored and sold from June 30th through July 4th from 8:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m.; f. Shall be discharged from June 30th through July 4th, from 8:00 A.M. until 11:00 P.M.;
g. Shall be discharged on private property only, which shall not include business, commercial, industrial or public property;
h. Members of the Hutchinson Police Department are authorized to enforce this provision and all applicable provisions of Chapter 25 pertaining to the storage, use, handling and possession of fireworks within the City of Hutchinson.
4. It is prohibited to discharge or use fireworks in a reckless manner which creates a risk of injury or death or damage to the property of another.
5. The fire chief, or his/her designee, has the authority to ban the discharge of fireworks when in his/her judgment, a special circumstance exists which indicates that the discharge of fireworks will create a public hazard, including, but not limited to: state-wide or local burn bans, drought, wind, or other climatic or environmental conditions or circumstances.
6. The sale of fireworks shall comply with requirements as determined by the Kansas State Fire Marshall's Office.
7. A violation of this section of the code is a class C misdemeanor