Stormwater Utility Information


What is a 'stormwater utility' and how is it different from a stormwater management program?

A stormwater utility is a legally authorized "public enterprise fund", adopted by ordinance and is similar to the water and sewer utilities. It was established to finance the construction and/or reconstruction of portions of the storm water system in the City of Hutchinson.

How did the City of Hutchinson develop its stormwater utility program?  
A Stormwater Advisory Committee (SWAC) was formed in 2014 to evaluate the current stormwater program and determined that a higher level of service was needed.  The SWAC brought their recommendations of implementing an updated stormwater utility fee to the City Council.  The City Council will consider adoption of the Stormwater Utility Fee in March of 2015.

What does the stormwater program do?  
The stormwater program is charged with the maintenance and improvement of the City’s stormwater systems located within the public street rights-of-way.  These systems consist of storm drains, catch basins, underground pipes, open channels, culverts and creeks.  The stormwater program is also charged to maintain compliance with State and Federal water quality regulations related to stormwater runoff.

What are the goals of the City of Hutchinson’s stormwater program?  
The stormwater program focuses on reducing the potential for the loss of life or property due to flooding and and protecting the quality of our lakes, rivers and streams.

City of Hutchinson Stormwater Master Plan


What is the new stormwater utility fee for the City of Hutchinson? 
Residential customers pay $4.75 per month for each dwelling unit.  So, a single family home will pay $4.75 per month and a duplex will pay $4.75 per month for each unit. Other properties will be charged by the number of Equivalent Residential Units (ERU) times a monthly charge of $4.75.   

When does the new stormwater utility fee go into affect?
January 1, 2016.

How is the non-residential fee calculated?
An ERU equals 3,120 sq. ft. of impervious surface and is the median impervious surface area found on a single-family property.  The number of ERUs for non-residential properties is determined by dividing the amount of the property’s impervious surface by 3,120. So, a 31,200 square foot building is assigned 10 ERUs and pay $47.50 per month since it is 10 times larger than an average home.

What is considered impervious area?
According to Chapter 19 of the City Code impervious area is "The number of square feet of hard surface areas which either prevent or retard the entry of water into soil mantle, as it entered under natural conditions as undisturbed property, and/or causes water to run off the surface in greater quantities or at an increased rate of flow from that present under natural conditions as undisturbed property, including, but not limited to, roofs, roof extensions, patios, porches, driveways, sidewalks, pavement, athletic courts, and compacted dirt or graveled areas.

Why will non-residential and tax-exempt properties be required to pay?  

All customers within Hutchinson, including Federal, State and City-owned properties, that have impervious surfaces must pay regardless of ownership or tax status because they generate runoff.

Are there credits available for non-residential properties? 
Yes! Credits are available in the following areas: Volume Control-Onsite, Quality Control-Onsite, Regional Volume Control, NPDES MS4 Permit Holders, Education/Outreach, and Zero Discharge. More information and credit applications can be found below:

Hutchinson Credit Policy Manual (PDF)

Hutchinson Credit Application and Instructions (PDF)
Hutchinson Credit Application and Instructions (FILLABLE)

Hutchinson Credit Renewal and Instructions (PDF)

In order to apply for quantity or quality credits and inspection will need to be done of your properties stormwater facility/ies. The inspection forms required for to be filled out for these inspections can be found below:


Dry or Wet Detention/Retention Ponds (PDF)

Bioretention Facility (PDF)

Grass Swales (PDF)

Underground Storage (PDF)

Wetlands (PDF)

Other (Green Infrastructure) (PDF)

Please use one inspection sheet per stormwater structure, for instance if two detention ponds are located on your property please include the cover sheet and 2 separate Dry or Wet Detention/Retention Ponds inspection sheets in your credit application. Also include photos of all pipes, culverts, control structures and facilities in your application. The City may do a follow-up inspection after receiving your application before credits are approved.

Do you have an example of what a completed application might look like?
Yes, and it is linked below. The City of Hutchinson does have some copies of property drainage studies, site plan as-builts, and topographic maps. Please contact us if you are having trouble locating these for your application. 

Sample Application (PDF)

Is there a way to appeal my properties impervious area determination or make adjustments?
Yes, for non-residential properties, please use this Appeal Application (PDF) and return ATTN: Engineering - Stormwater Utility addressed 1500 S Plum, Hutchinson KS 67501. 

What are some advantages of charging a stormwater fee rather than a tax?  
Using a fee structure based on impervious surfaces will allow for a more equitable method of charging for stormwater services.  That is, the fee is related to the service received from the City.  Each non-residential customer will be charged based on the actual impervious surface of their property.  

What am I going to get out of this fee?  
The revenues from this fee will be used to reduce the occurrence of street and structural flooding, provide better planning for the future, increase maintenance of the stormwater system, increase street sweeping for runoff pollution control, increase the frequency of storm system repair, reduce sedimentation and erosion, and reduce runoff-caused pollution.  A major benefit is that the City will start methodically completing the recommendations of the 2000 Stormwater Master Plan so that serious flooding within the City will be significantly reduced over time.

Contact Us

  1. Stormwater Division

    1500 S Plum
    Hutchinson, KS 67501

    Phone: 620-259-4122
    Fax: 620-694-1980


    except select federal holidays
    Monday - Friday
    8 a.m. - 5 p.m.